Grandparenting…. Don’t get me started. If you’ve already entered the holy of holies of grandparenthood, then you know what I mean. If you haven’t, there are no words to describe how wonderful this new role is. Suffice it to say that grandparenting is our reward for not selling our own children on e-bay! (I know you’ve thought of it!!!).
Besides all the fun involved in being a Nana or Papa, I hope you know how vital you are to the family picture, especially in our modern culture.
Grandparents fill in the gaps, take up the slack and offer stability when families are going through crisis, challenges and changes. And when we make the decision to step up, we are the big winners. We expand our sphere of influence and in the process, even gather a few more step grandchildren to love.
“God sees step grandchildren as an opportunity for you to expand your role as a blessing giver, a legacy maker, a torchbearer of the truth, and a standard setter for living an abundant life….
Five Ways to Be a better Step Grandparent
- Keep God’s perspective that this is an extension of your ministry to your family.
- Always take the high road and refuse to traffic in disappointment or blaming when it comes to the circumstances and people that brought about the new family configuration.
- Take it slowly and gently. Allow the new grandchildren to figure out where you fit in.
- Always speak with respect about the other adults in the picture.
- Count it as an honor to pray for these precious children. “And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me” (Matthew 18:5). “
Excerpted from Extreme Grandparenting: The Ride of Your Life.
When we get the opportunity to be a step grandparent, we can play a redemptive role in these sometimes unfortunate scenarios and offer love, mercy, grace and acceptance to every grandchild caught in the middle.