Blog  /  31 Days of Prayer for your Children, Parenting  /  {31 Days of Prayer for Your Children} Day 22 :: COURAGE

31DOP_Day22

DAY 22 : COURAGE

“Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you. “

- Deut. 31:6 {ESV}

I trust God will keep His promises and be true to His character. I do what is right even when no one is looking. I believe to the core of my heart and soul in God’s uncompromising love for me. These 3 proclamations take courage, a steadfast belief grounded in the truth of God’s Word brought to life through my relationship with His son Jesus.

Courage is the crux of all the Biblical virtues –

“Courage is not simply one of the virtues but the form of every virtue at the testing point.” – C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

Teaching my children to live courageously is more than just embracing head knowledge. I must first demonstrate to them on a consistent basis the core assertions with an uncompromising conviction.

• I implement courage to restrain my emotional impulses, “sigh.”
  • I exercise courage to swallow my pride to act in humility, forgiveness, and honesty, “exhale.”
  • I draw upon courage to tell the truth, not gossip, say no when others compromise with yes, confront addictions, and stay pure, “whew.”
  • It takes courage for me to stand firm as a real follower of Jesus and humbly submit my life to God, “yes, Lord.”

As parents we must be determined to be of good courage when holding our children accountable to making courageous choices.

******

~ Resource of the Day ~

Raising Kids Who Turn Out Right

******

This is Day 22 of our 31 Days of Prayer for Your Children Challenge.

Please be sure to follow along this month as we encourage parents to be intentional about praying for their children. Read all of our 31 Days of Prayer for Your Children posts by clicking here.

We’ve also created a calendar (two color options) that you can download and print to keep at your desk, on your fridge or wherever you’ll see it and be reminded to pray.

******

Click here to download 31 Days of Prayer for Your Children {Option 1}

Click here to download 31 Days of Prayer for Your Children {Option 2}

Edy Sutherland

Edy Sutherland uses outdoor adventure to help others see Biblical principles through another vantage point. She is the author of The WHEE Factor: The RUSH You Get When You Experience God in Everyday Life. Learn more about her ministry at www.edysutherland.com

Tags: , , ,

Related Posts

Comments

1. Sarah says:

Wonderful Post Edy!!! “Strong” and “Courages” are the words I used with my daughter Sydney. She can be very shy in new circumstances so the start of Kindergaten was tough for her, especially when they had to stand and read sight words in front of the class. Sydney and I talked about being “brave” and “courages” and that we “can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.” I am proud to say that after a few weeks of repeating this, she is no longer shy and doing very well with reading her sight words out loud to the class:)

2. Bethanie Vanasse says:

Beautiful Edy! He will never leave us or forsake us!

3. Beth Wagenius says:

Very, very good Edy.
    Courage to stand for what is right even when no one else does.

4. Gigi Peterson says:

I love this and so needed to read this today. I am struggling with giving in to my impulses to get immediate gratification. How can I expect my daughter to be accountable for her behavior, if I am falling short? I will commit to praying on this. God, give me the courage to restrain and submit to Your will Thank you Edy.

5. Erin Myers says:

I love this Edy! So wise! Great reminder to walk the talk with our children. It can be a challenge. We have been talking alot about dealing with difficult situations, lately, in our house. And why God allows difficulty. Our son (10 years) is very upset by how God allows difficulty in life. My husband talked to him about when you heat metal and pound on it, reheat and pound….over and over that the metal becomes stronger. He then explained that this is what God allows sometimes in our lives. But once we get through the “refiner’s fire” we are stronger just like the metal. We talked about how we may know that, in our heads, but our hearts struggle with the “heating and pounding’ process. This is where our courage comes in. He seemed to accept this explaination in the moment, but the following night he had more questions. So, this may be a continuous dialogue and challenge for us as parents to demonstrate to him each day. Thank you for the reminder of my role as a parent.

6. Amber Messaros says:

Edy, this is So timely. I feel like it is a challenge to lead by example and especially when our culture is so invasive. I think how there are so many voices trying to compete with the values/beliefs I want for myself and my children. I have been praying intentionally for wisdom and discernment as I take on the huge responsibility of parenthood. :)

7. Thank you for this great reminder. Parenting takes courage for sure. And courage requires humility. Kids have a way of keeping us humble:)

8. Amy Lively says:

I always thought I had to muster willpower to make good choices. Courage–action in spite of fear–is a much better description!

9. Joann Paradies says:

This is so strong and encouraging and convicting and comforting all at the same time. How parenting can be so challenging but we can be so reassured when we remember we are a child of God first. And in that obedience we teach more than we could ever try to on our own. Thanks for the reminders and encouragement Edy. And those statements could be a great family proclamation!!

10. Angie Ryg says:

Hi Edy!

Wow…I love the examples of the different responses a parent can have. It takes courage and hope to raise children. Thanks for you encouraging words to help us in our journey. What a blessing! Thank you!

Blessings,
    Angie

11. Oh, yes. Courage. It so very often gets placed in a grandiose category of amazing feats and accomplishments and what it really is is the soft nudge of saying “I’ll try again tomorrow.” Thank you for reminding us of this. Great post.

12. Chris Fowler says:

Thank you Edy, for courageously living on the front lines raising up the next generation and challenging each one of us to live to the full what we say we believe.

13. Monika Cheang says:

I always love what you have to say, Edy! Thank you!