One second, I have to take this...
You could make the argument that cell phones are a relatively recent technology, and that society is still adjusting to their almost constant presence. What else could explain the reports that 75% of American admit to using their cell phone in the bathroom (and 20% have dropped theirs into the toilet at some point)? Many feel that the constant use of mobile phones has hurt communication, by focusing people's energy on those who aren't present at the expense of those who are. One L.A. restaurant has decided to fight this trend by offering their customers a 5% discount, just for checking their cell phones in at the door. The owner says a little less than half of patrons take advantage of the opportunity -- cutting themselves off to the outside world, even if only for a short time.
Read the article: LA restaurant offers discount for dining without your phone (SCPR.org)
Serve it up:
- Would you give up your phone in a restaurant for a 5% discount? Does it depend on the restaurant? Does it depend on who you're eating with?
- What other establishments would you like to see institute a discount for phone policy? Five-percent off of movie tickets? Five-percent off of your Sunday offering?
- Do you think that the generations that now grow up with cell phones have more trouble with social etiquette?
- About 75% of people believe that mobile phone etiquette has gotten worse in recent years. The way communication technology is developing - how do you foresee it affecting society socially? What benefits or problems do you see developing?
- Galatians 5:13-14 says "For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'" What ways do you see our communications gadgets being used selfishly and what ways do you see them used to serve others?
- If you were to write the mandatory rules for cell phone etiquette, upon what basic principles would you base those rules?
Scorpions and Centaurs